If your site or hosting service tend to bother your visitors with technical or such issues time to time, then you really need to think about getting issues fixed, or switching to a reputed and reliable domain / hosting service before you find you have no loyal readers and visitors left anymore.
What might be the solution to find if your site has been suffering from outages?
1. You can rely on your visitors to let you know about outages as they find
2. You can keep refreshing your site time to time looking for any visible issues
3. You can use a tool or service to monitor your site for outages
The most important advantage of monitoring is that you can make decisions with confidence. Even if someone let you know about outages, you might not get to know about all the occurrences. But if a tool or service can display enough evidences, you will know what's your next move should be.
Pingdom Website Monitor
You can either come back and check for outages at your convenience, or simply get notified about outages. That's the best feature I like about this service. You can get notifications via email and Twitter. Don't you think it's convenient enough? :)
Further, you can get notifications via SMS too. But you need to have SMS credits left in order to receive notifications. Anyway, you will get 20 SMS credits to spend when you get started.
In addition to monitoring service, Pingdom offers you the Real User Monitoring service too. If you would like to set it up, you can learn about your site's performance through the real-time data collected by Pingdom service.
1. Go to Pingdom Free Account Sign Up page.
2. Enter your email address and a new password for your Pingdom account, and click Free signup button.
3. Now you will be requested to complete your account details. Fill them, including your Time Zone.
* You can learn about your site's outages and performance by accessing the detailed reports offered. Go to Reports section and explore the available reports and logs.
* To enable Real User Monitoring, navigate to RUM section and add your site. To track performance data of your site, you will need to place a script provided by Pingdom when adding your site.
* If you always used to stare at your smartphone, don't worry! Grab Pingdom app (Android / iOS) and check your site status on the go. You will get in-app notifications when something goes wrong too.
* Love more goodies? Head over to Apps and Downloads to explore more helpful apps, bookmarklets and plugins.