Threats on Facebook
How about a spammy message landing into your inbox from a total stranger or trusted friend?
It happened too!
Did a friend notified your account sending spammy messages, which still you couldn't find anything suspicious within your timeline? How many times you had to swear to convince it's not you? ;)
There, I'm fortunate enough not to deal with them, except few times being added to some Facebook groups and my friends had no clue until I notify them. Don't misjudge your friends by one piece of action. Always ask and confirm.
Eventhough you knew about the threats and risks, and still managed to keep yourself away, don't you think it can be your account next time?
They are Tricky
Malware can be tricky enough! You may not find anything suspicious on your timeline, while your friends can witness the on going drama.
Few times I found suspicious links being shared from my Facebook friends, and promptly notified. Their first impression was mixed with REFUSAL. Then couple of screenshots could convince them to secure their Facebook accounts. What if I hadn't noticed? They might have been spamming unless someone else reached out to let them know.
When you click on a spam, it can take over permissions of your Facebook account quietly and starts to spread the spammy links around. Then if a friend of yours click on such a spammy link, his / her account will start to behave in the same way and end up getting more accounts infected. It's just a simple example.
It won't be the same trick all the time 'cause Facebook Security team takes necessary precautions for possible threats, and post-actions when they discover security holes. But again, someone figures out another way to breach the security.
Further it takes a peek into your current Facebook privacy settings, and suggests which actions should be taken to make your account more safer. For example, if your personal information are publicly accessible, it shows the information regarding that.
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Navigate to Bitdefender Safego application page.
3. Click Install App button to continue.
4. Click Okay button to allow permission and proceed.
5. If you would like to get weekly summary published on your timeline, click Okay. Else, skip.
6. Now it's already installed and automatically scan for malware threats from now on.
* Navigate to Bitdefender Safego application page to access settings and scan details.
* You can find detected infected items under Infected Items.
If no infected items detected recently, click Show older button to display older threats identified.
* You can warn your friends about the infected items detected by clicking Warn button next to the item.
* You can manage notification settings in Settings pane.
* Statistics from the day installed, will be displayed under Statistics.
* Your account's privacy level and suggestions will be shown in Privacy pane.
* Click Refresh button to populate latest scan details and statistics.